by Emma Clark
I don’t know about you, but when I’m making a smoothie, my main goal is not to make it taste good. Of course I want it to be palatable, but to be honest I get so excited by trying to pack it with as many nutrients as possible. It’s gotten to the point where I rarely buy pre-made smoothies, because I just know I can get more nutrients in there than they can! I usually have this smoothie post-workout, but will also sometimes have it on rest days to ensure I’m getting all the goodness it provides!
- Green base – I have frozen spinach and dino kale in my freezer, so I throw a handful of that in there to start. Do I even have to mention why greens are so important? I think we all know
- Water – could do coconut or almond milk too if you’re feeling that
- Handful of frozen berries – blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries to be specific. A little sweetness, some fiber and a ton of antioxidants
- Protein powder – took me years to find a protein powder I like. Does anyone else get insanely bloated from whey protein!? I can’t deal. I’ve now been using this Paleo protein for a few months and I love it. No bloat, good flavour, and very clean. It also gets really frothy and adds a nice texture to the smoothie – makes it more filling too.
- 3 keys for added fibre – chia seeds, flax seeds, and psyllium husk. I do about a tablespoon of flax & chia, and about a teaspoon of the psyllium husk. Trust me, you don’t want to overdo it on psyllium. It’s an insoluble fibre which is great for your gut, but too much can cause distress. A little goes a long way!
- Collagen powder – about a tablespoon. I’m 25 now and apparently you lose 1% of the collagen in your skin every year post 25. I’m nottt trying to age too early, ya feel? It’s also great for your joints, and hair. What’s not to love.
- Maca powder – because I’m all about mood regulation and fighting free radicals.
- Spirulina powder – one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth, need I say more? Anti-oxidants, lower cholesterol, detoxing on heavy metals, your bod will thank you!
There ya have it folks! Like I said, don’t expect this smoothie to taste like a milkshake, but remember you’re doing your body a huge favour by giving it all these nutrients, and you’ll have the glowing skin to prove it.